SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

mts kits

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-06-29

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 12:30 pm

I was wondering for all the trail riders....what kind of suspension are you all running? I was thinking of going with an MTS 3+ kit,maybe ishock or lonestar with bilsteins.Was wondering your opinions and experiences with your set ups.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Ya , but with the tires sticking way out. wont it
limit you on trails. and have more chance of catching a wheel on a
tree and breaking suspention parts. i know the sand guys do it.
but most trail people seem to keep them closer to stock whith.
atleast what i seen.

Chris.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 1:14 pm

For my local riding MTS is no an option. Just too wide. I have the Progressive 425's. Here is a test video.

http://www.hunterworks.com/425_shock_test
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 1:19 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
For my local riding MTS is no an option. Just too wide. I have the Progressive 425's. Here is a test video.

Dave i saw those..... :) it really that much better.
since i will leave mine with stock a arms i might need some of these.
does it really ride better in the woods. and is your swaybar off.

Chris.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 2:19 pm

rottenrhino wrote:
I was wondering for all the trail riders....what kind of suspension are you all running? I was thinking of going with an MTS 3+ kit,maybe ishock or lonestar with bilsteins.Was wondering your opinions and experiences with your set ups.

What your talking about here is the Cadillac of suspension set ups for the Eastern rider where overall vehicle width is premium. Alot of people go the cheap way which is to put 2+5 offset wheels on their machine to increase sidexside stability for high speed cornering as well as off camber situations. The problem with that is the increased stress put on the spindles by not keeping the center of the wheels over them. The 3" Mts with 5+2 wheels will give you close to the same width with less spindle stress and alot more suspension travel, which will give you a much better ride. A Lonestar MTS with Bilstein Suspension would be Killer, but pretty costly.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 2:26 pm

nocerisdave wrote:

Dave, I was wondering whether you played with your stock shock adjustments prior to purchasing your 425's? I too am considering the 425's for my Rhino. Before my last ride I adjusted my stock shocks by putting the fronts up on #4 setting which is next to the stiffest, and put the rear on the softest setting #1. I was surprised as to the improvement it made to my machine with the stock shocks. I took the bottoming out from the front away, and noticed alot more rebound. It also reduced the bucking or side kick out of the rear. I was just wondering if you did the same before the addition of the 425's and if there was still as drastic of an improvement?
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 5:05 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
nocerisdave wrote:

Dave, I was wondering whether you played with your stock shock adjustments prior to purchasing your 425's? I too am considering the 425's for my Rhino. Before my last ride I adjusted my stock shocks by putting the fronts up on #4 setting which is next to the stiffest, and put the rear on the softest setting #1. I was surprised as to the improvement it made to my machine with the stock shocks. I took the bottoming out from the front away, and noticed alot more rebound. It also reduced the bucking or side kick out of the rear. I was just wondering if you did the same before the addition of the 425's and if there was still as drastic of an improvement?

I had the stockers all over the place on the settings. The fronts finally got to where it didnt matter on settings I was bottoming out a lot. The other main reason is the kids seat.
Back to top Go down
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 7:51 am

ChrisC wrote:
Ya , but with the tires sticking way out. wont it
limit you on trails. and have more chance of catching a wheel on a
tree and breaking suspention parts. i know the sand guys do it.
but most trail people seem to keep them closer to stock whith.
atleast what i seen.

Chris.

from what ive seen ,I think I can get away with an extra 3 inches on both sides for most trails,I think an LT would be a nono. i was also thinking of the lonestar 1+2 kit.I jut need some more width,with the cage on it just seems to need more stability,seems to be top heavy,but im not bottoming out yet
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 am

if you just need more width for stability - try offset wheels or spacers....

see if you like it - then look at the big bucks of an mts
Back to top Go down
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:32 am

i have 2 inch spacers in the back with 5+2 offset,should I try 2+5 in the rear instead?
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:34 am

from another thread....

wvyankee2 wrote:
2+5 with 11" tires will put you right at 61" from outside to outside on the rear. Too wide for a 5' trailer for sure. 5+2 with 9" tires will give you 54 1/2" from outside to outside on the front. which is 1" wider than stock. With 5+2 on the back you should have 55" across the back which will be wider than the front without spacers.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:14 am

ChrisC wrote:
nocerisdave wrote:

Dave i saw those..... :) it really that much better.
since i will leave mine with stock a arms i might need some of these.
does it really ride better in the woods. and is your swaybar off.

Chris.

There is no comparision between the stockers and the Progressives. I can hit stuff at twice the speeds I could with the stockers. IMO, the shocks are not only better but a must if you like wide ass open, and I do.

On the wider stance......if you have some stock rims or access to some try flipping them inside out. Make sure you get the tread pattern going the right way....I made that mistake and got stuck 5 times before my dumb ass figured out the tread pattern was going the wrong way. The stance is a lot more stabile for sure and is no cost to see if you like it and that it works for you. The difference is probably as dramatic as replacing the stock shocks......In a good way and If I road lots of open stuff I would have some offsets. BUt I dont sooooo the OEM setup is the best for me. I have my stock tires if you want to try it. The offset dont really limit me to the trails I ride but they do limit me as to how fast I can ride the trails. Ever seen the movie with Mike Meyers where he has the golf cart stull in that tunnel, its not quite that extreme but you get the picture.

What is true for all the mods we have are a matter of prefernce. And like elbos and assholes we all have one. Its all trial and error shit!
Back to top Go down
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 8:23 am

OK i ended up getting a great deal on some Ishock f18's($1300 all four)....so now i think im gonna go ahead and do MTS.......not sure if I wanna stick with ishock or XMF for the arms........any input?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 11:00 am

Sorry RR, dont have any experience with them. Check out Rhinoforums.net. They should have some good info over there on them. Only thing I can add is do not go with more than a 5+2 offset wheel with the MTS. You will get too wide. You will have a killer set up. allright
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mts kits Empty
PostSubject: Re: mts kits   mts kits Empty

Back to top Go down

mts kits
Page 1 of 1