SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New tires for the trailer

Go down 
+2
Gimpy
KY. Colonel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

New tires for the trailer Empty
PostSubject: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 4:43 am

I just got back from getting two new tires for my gatormade sgl axle trailer. Just a warning to all, check the air pressure in your trailer tires I wore out mine by assuming that it had the correct pressure in the tires from the factory- wrong. They were supposed to have 50 to 60 lbs they had 30 and it wore them out in no time. This set I made sure they had 55 lbs and I had them inflated with Nitrogen instead of air. Should run cooler and hold pressure longer.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Run 55 in my 14 footer when loaded. Run about 40 when light loaded. You can bald the center with to much pressure with to light of a load.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Ah hell, just fill 'em up past 60, bald out the centers, never check the pressure, it'll eventually go down enough to wear the outer edges. Now you're gettin' maximum usage outa them tires! Don't get new ones 'til you got steel belts showing all the way around!
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Most all of the ST "trailer" tires now are made in China. I put a set on my 14K gooseneck and had broken belts on 3 of them within 6 months. So I replaced all 4 with "E" rated 50,000 mile truck tires and keep 50 psi in them. All good so far, never should have to replace them again.
I don't think you can buy good trailer tires anymore.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 pm

I bought Carlisle ST radial tires for my 14 footer. They have over a year on them. Hauled sod, lumber, firewood, logs and the RZRS. No problems yet. I know there is a Carlisle factory in TN.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Gimpy wrote:
I bought Carlisle ST radial tires for my 14 footer.  They have over a year on them.  Hauled sod, lumber, firewood, logs and the RZRS.  No problems yet.  I know there is a Carlisle factory in TN.

I guess maybe Carlisle still makes some good ones. Will be sure to keep them in mind when it comes time to replace the tires on my 6x10.
I had no luck in my search for some good HD 16" tires. Heard lot's of horror stories on Goodyear Marathons. I think the side load of pulling the GN loaded around sharp cornes is what busted the belts. But I believe that's what trailer tires are supposed to be able to tolerate.
My 20' will need some 205 15's soon. Is that what u put on your 14'?
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:29 am

Same exact thing happened to me. Had trailer for a year or so now and the tires are shot. Gonna have to get some put on it very soon. May go with truck tires this time.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 8:45 pm

jhoncho4x4 wrote:
Gimpy wrote:
I bought Carlisle ST radial tires for my 14 footer.  They have over a year on them.  Hauled sod, lumber, firewood, logs and the RZRS.  No problems yet.  I know there is a Carlisle factory in TN.

I guess maybe Carlisle still makes some good ones. Will be sure to keep them in mind when it comes time to replace the tires on my 6x10.
I had no luck in my search for some good HD 16" tires. Heard lot's of horror stories on Goodyear Marathons. I think the side load of pulling the GN loaded around sharp cornes is what busted the belts. But I believe that's what trailer tires are supposed to be able to tolerate.
My 20' will need some 205 15's soon. Is that what u put on your 14'?

Yes, the 205 15" Carlisle. I had back luck with the Marathoners some years ago. I had some others say the same about the Carlisle. No issues for me yet.
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 5:09 pm

As I researched tires before buying mine. I read where the best may be the Maxxis but I didn't find a source for them locally.
Back to top Go down
rocketman

rocketman

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 9:13 pm

[b]Both of my race car trailers had Duro Radials on them. They were both 10k+ loaded and i was well impressed with both sets the v-nose had 15's and the gooseneck had 16's. I plan to put a set on my open trailer soon!![/b]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New tires for the trailer   New tires for the trailer Empty

Back to top Go down

New tires for the trailer
Page 1 of 1