SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rear differential pinion seal leaking

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hutch
SSXSRider Member
hutch

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Rear differential pinion seal leaking Empty
PostSubject: Rear differential pinion seal leaking   Rear differential pinion seal leaking EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Noticed after the evarts trip that the rear pinion seal is pouring.I have'nt tore it down yet but have looked closely at the diff case and extention housing and there are no cracks. Anyone else had this problem or know the cause. Hope it's just a simple seal failure.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Rear differential pinion seal leaking   Rear differential pinion seal leaking EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 11:45 pm

My front differential seal started leaking for no apparent reason out the driver side axle seal. Suspected a failed bearing causing play,  I took it to the dealer (extended warranty). He opened it up and found nothing wrong. Said spring had simply jumped off the seal. Said he probably could have just put spring back on and it would have been fine. He went ahead and ordered seal kit and replaced.
I suspect China seal.
I replace industrial seals and bearings daily in my line of work. If any of you are replacing bearings and seals out of pocket (no warranty) I recommend cross referencing to industrial components from Motion Industries. http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/index.html Simply write down the #'s on the components and give them a call. Will be much better quality and cheaper than what you get from the dealer. They are a national distributor, chances are you will be able to pick them up at a counter vs being shipped.
Quality bearings and seals should never fail without external damage or contamination.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Rear differential pinion seal leaking   Rear differential pinion seal leaking EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 am

A lot of the Polaris bearings, not sure about seals, are proprietary. I went through this when searching for wheel-bearings for my Ranger 800. The fronts were from a Mazda car of some sort, the rears you could not find.
Back to top Go down
jhoncho4x4
SSXSRider Member
jhoncho4x4

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Rear differential pinion seal leaking   Rear differential pinion seal leaking EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:46 am

ridepate wrote:
A lot of the Polaris bearings, not sure about seals, are proprietary. I went through this when searching for wheel-bearings for my Ranger 800. The fronts were from a Mazda car of some sort, the rears you could not find.
Yep I remeber that. I tried to help you cross them over and had no luck myself.
When mine inevitably fail, I will take the dimensional route to cross them over. If I have any success, I will definetly post my results.
Had good luck with front drive shaft carrier bearing, write up coming soon.
Back to top Go down
hutch
SSXSRider Member
hutch

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Rear differential pinion seal leaking   Rear differential pinion seal leaking EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Great i'll see if i can cross the seal number,I was in a panic hoping there was'nt a differential problem that started out like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear differential pinion seal leaking   Rear differential pinion seal leaking Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear differential pinion seal leaking
Page 1 of 1