SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Water Temp Gauge

Go down 
+18
KJSmith84
bush
blzrgb
ridepate
2Slow4U
cajuncoot
DirtDawber
concours_greg
RHINOKING
tim
RedNeckRanger
shawnley1222
rubicon05
rhinomikey
Neuromax
Big-R
ChrisC
wvyankee2
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:32 pm

I just got mine in its a TotallyCoolProducts(tcppperformance.com) they have a ebay store thats wehre I got mine
Back to top Go down
RHINOKING
SSXSRider Member
RHINOKING

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:42 pm

how hard is it to clean the radator with it on?
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 2:49 pm

not sure yet its still sitting in my floor about to go put it on but I made a "min pressure washer" that fits inbetween the rad and oil cooler

Radiator Cleaner
Back to top Go down
RHINOKING
SSXSRider Member
RHINOKING

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 3:34 pm

You think it's going to be hard to wash out, If you wash it from back to front
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 3:48 pm

no doesnt look any harder then it is w/o it
Back to top Go down
RHINOKING
SSXSRider Member
RHINOKING

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 4:25 pm

OK Thanks
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 10:55 am

Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 P1010200d

Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 P1010196t

Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 P1010089y
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamconcours.com
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 11:22 am

You do some fine work my Friend...... allright
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 11:54 am

hail That's some damn nice shit Greg !!!!! clap clap
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 1:24 pm

sweet looking, you got a shop around cincy? i am between dayton and springfield.
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:09 pm

cajuncoot wrote:
sweet looking, you got a shop around cincy? i am between dayton and springfield.

Yup !

My shop is in Cincinnati. If you need directions just let me know.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Ok I have gotten a gauge and am going to try and install it before this weekend, I am going to be installing it in the hose coming off the passenger side of the radiator, I am going to do it like a bussy did his he used a "T" and put small piping on each side of the "T" then just hose clamped the hose on each side and reduced to the right size to where the sending unit threaded right in.

Sound about right??? Mostly does it go on the passenger side hose?

a little off topic but Which wires do I need to tie into on the ignition(+) and (-) so my gauges will work when im running and not have to put on a manual switch. Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 pm

The sending uinit I just installed on my 450 went on the hose in the engine compartment between the thermostat on the cylinder head and the metal tube that runs up front -- it's measuring the water at its' hottest...

On the 450, at least, it's a rubber hose that comes off the thermostat, so it was easy to splice in the adapter that holds the sending unit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 pm

That don't sound right Shawn, it does not need to be at the radiator, it needs to be drivers-side at the motor. I'll get you a pic tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:41 pm

This gauge install video at Hunterworks shows where I installed mine, though this is a 700 shown... it's a long video and the water temp sender and bleeding is near the end of the vid...

http://www.hunterworks.com/rhino_gauge_install

Glad I didn't see this vid before I installed mine -- I might have been even more confused... thatsright
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 pm

I didn't do the in-line thing, but I've seen a few. I just did the screw the sender into the head, ground the stock wire so the dash light does not come on, and wallah. I just don't like cutting hoses, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:32 pm

ridepate wrote:
I didn't do the in-line thing, but I've seen a few. I just did the screw the sender into the head, ground the stock wire so the dash light does not come on, and wallah. I just don't like cutting hoses, but that's just me.

It was cutting the oil line that concerned me... but I've run add-on oil and transmission coolers before also. Had a line to a remote oil cooler burst on me and cost me an engine rebuild in a VW van -- on Christmas morning 1978, no less. That's one I'll never forget...

This way the idiot light and the water temp gauge both work...
Back to top Go down
blzrgb
SSXSRider Member
blzrgb

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Got me a temp guage on the way . Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/blzrgb
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 3:17 pm

ridepate wrote:
That don't sound right Shawn, it does not need to be at the radiator, it needs to be drivers-side at the motor. I'll get you a pic tomorrow.

Well like I said a guy I ride with did it inline up by the rad said it works but now I dunno if I should I wanna keep my dummy light as a back up
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 3:40 pm

Sending units at the radiator are typically used to turn the cooling fan off and on.

Sending units to tell you the temp are usually as close to the outllet side of the thermostat as possible, so they can better show how hot the engine actually is.

Not that there's a whole lot of difference between the outlet of the engine and the inlet on the radiator -- probably 10 degrees or so -- as the coolant begins to cool down as it travels through the plumbing toward the radiator....

Measuring the water temp at the outlet of the radiator should show a large difference -- fifty degrees or so -- because the radiator is iintended to cool the coolant....
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 4:01 pm

I am going to be cutting into the hose closer to the motor outlet like Todd did in his video... thanks for all the helps guys, now just need to figure out which is in/out
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 7:54 pm

shawnley1222 wrote:
I am going to be cutting into the hose closer to the motor outlet like Todd did in his video... thanks for all the helps guys, now just need to figure out which is in/out

A better place is the small hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the water pump. It flows coolant all of the time. You don't have to wait on the thermostat to open to get a temp reading. This is on the 660.

Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 P1010230e
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Which one is it?
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 9:55 pm

tim wrote:
Which one is it?

Ditto Also what size tee did you use? Is it as accurate as the the way where you cut into just before the motor too?
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:51 am

3/8" TEE

It is more accurate because it is a bypass hose that circulates coolant at all times. On the radiator hose outlet you have to wait for the thermostat to open. If for some reason your thermostat gets stuck closed you won't know until it's too late.

If you look right next to the thermostat housing you will see the hose. It crosses over the engine under the carb boot and goes to the water pump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Temp Gauge   Water Temp Gauge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Water Temp Gauge
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next