SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sheave service

Go down 
+4
rubicon05
moto92
wvyankee2
ChrisC
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Sheave service - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:32 pm

Suzuki recommends changing the Kingquad belt at 1200 miles. My buddy Bob has over 3000 on his now with the same belt. He does not baby it either. He does carry a spare with him, but says he will not change it until he has to.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 1:47 pm

I wouldnt carry a spare belt - unless I had an extra - thenI would carry it (meaning I wouldnt go out and buy one to have on hand as a spare - if I ended up with one - so be it)....

changing a belt in the woods would be a PITA!! But then again - towing out of the woods is also a PITA!!

Someone needs to design a tow dolly to attach to the 2" receiver - raise a gimp rhino or other sxs off the ground (fronts only) for towing out. Keep it in the truck at rides - go back and get it and the gimp machine if necessary....towing is no fun and super dangerous...especially if you lose steering (ie. broken steerin raack)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Yep, and it is not a problem. Machines go 6-8K miles with no filter on the CVT and no problems whatsoever except belt changes. I know some folks actually fluch there CVT out with water on occasion although I dont think it is necessary.

After being into several CVT's, flushing with water , or anything for that matter,is not a good idea, IMO. There's things in there that will rust, the rollers in perticular.
My question is this, as far as a Rhino goes. Why would you go to the trouble to take off the cover just to put a hose on it??? That baffles me. It's harder to get the cover off than the sheave itself. It's funny you might think you can go 8k miles with no trouble because sheave-belt performance fades away so slowly you won't notice it, but it's there, it's happening.
My clue was I run the same 1/4 mile of pavement at least 4 times a week. Monday I was listening to the motor wind-up and it just seemed to top-out rpm wise, high enough for me to notice the higher rpm, that was my clue, tore it down and wallah.

It's an easy job, and if Joe-Shmoe gets 8k without service, good for him, he won't get away with it forever................. :(lmao:

I'm just one of those people who like taking things apart and seeing the "smoke and mirrors" "no It don't need servicing" anything with grease in it needs a service. Ever ran your trailor 8k without packing the bearings??????
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:59 pm

No Jimbo. They dont take off the cover. They fill the CVT with a hose from the intake and then rev it up in neutral to blow it out. No cover removal at all. Then pull the drain plug and drain out what does not blow out. Most of it will blow out though. It's not a normal practice or one I do myself, but I do know people who do it. My point is CVT's have been put on ATV's since the mid 90's and on snowmobiles since the 60's and sheave and clutch maintenance is never been an issue that I have ever heard of until the Rhino. And the only issue I have heard of was cooking them from putting a filter on it and choking off the airflow and baking the clutch from the excessive heat.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:08 pm

Chainsaw Rhino
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:17 pm

It runs in excessive heat even without a filter, thats my point Yank. And fill it up with water through the CVT intake?? And crank it up??? You've got to be kidding. Grease-Gone........ I'm not trying to get into a service or not to service debate here, if you don't thats fine......

Just showing MY results............ Chainsaw
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:43 pm

Yank, I would not go with that method at all. If I were going to clean it, I would want the cover off and the sheave off to clean.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:59 pm

well i took the filter off today but just hate tinkin of leaving it wide open(like stock) so i just threw a leggn knee high deal over it(black of course) just to help it a little but not restrict it very much... i pulled it somewhat tight so it wont suck down in and cause a nice resting place for mud=sand
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:59 pm

Besides comparing the wear and tear of a sxs to a quad is apples and oranges. rebel
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:11 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
Yank, I would not go with that method at all. If I were going to clean it, I would want the cover off and the sheave off to clean.

I do not touch my CVT at all.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:28 pm

When I think about my CVT I touch myself.

How about pumping it full of grease and blowing it out? affraid
Sheave service - Page 2 Bravo
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:44 pm

• clap .
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:48 pm

ChrisC wrote:

Also i took that dam sleeve off the winch rope.... cheers

what is that for?
ive got a new warn with the synthetic rope and its got the sleeve. i dont like it because i cant spool the rope all the way in
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:51 pm

i kept mine off not sure what its 4? scratch
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:53 pm

moto92 wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

what is that for?
ive got a new warn with the synthetic rope and its got the sleeve. i dont like it because i cant spool the rope all the way in

The sleeve is meant to place on an abrasive surface so the rope slides through it and not over it therby fraying your rope. Example would be if you were at the crest of a hill and the tree or whatever you anchored to caused your rope to drag on the edge of the hill, you would slide the sleeve to that spot and let the rope slide through it rather than across the abrasive ground.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:54 pm

moto92 wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

what is that for?

Sheave service - Page 2 I229l3
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:54 pm

ah ha good thing for Mr. Information good ol yank cheers

guess i need to at least throw it in the glovebox

uplaugh (pate)

Last edited by shawnley1222 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:55 pm

moto92 wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

what is that for?

its to protect the rope around trees and rocks. but when it gets
wet. its a pain in the ass. leave it off.... Wink
Ronnie good idea he gets credit for it being off.... cheers
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:56 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Airborne LT wrote:

I do not touch my CVT at all.

At a boy Marty , you tell em..... allright
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 12:00 am

I had synthetic rope on my jeep winch and while it is real nice to handle and work with you have to take extra care of it. Might not be as critical with a 1100 pound machine as a 4200 pound machine but you dont want it to start fraying on you. Also you dont want to power out your winch with synthetic rope. The heat from turning against the winch brake will melt the rope against the drum.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 12:22 am

Not stubborn Jimbo, just my experiences. We had snowmobiles all through the 70's and 80's and I've been around alot of ATV's over the last 15 years that run CVT's. I have never in all my years around them ever heard of a single problem with the clutch or sheave until I got around the Rhino. The Rhino is the same setup as the grizzly or any other CVT driven machine. They all do and always have sucked dust, water and anything else you can put in them without issue except for belt replacement. The only issues I have seen with them is when people start messing with them. So, that is why I dont touch mine.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 2:05 am

wvyankee2 wrote:
Not stubborn Jimbo, just my experiences. We had snowmobiles all through the 70's and 80's and I've been around alot of ATV's over the last 15 years that run CVT's. I have never in all my years around them ever heard of a single problem with the clutch or sheave until I got around the Rhino. The Rhino is the same setup as the grizzly or any other CVT driven machine. They all do and always have sucked dust, water and anything else you can put in them without issue except for belt replacement. The only issues I have seen with them is when people start messing with them. So, that is why I dont touch mine.

I agree 100 %......... cheers

if it ant broke dont F**ck with it...... allright
if it vibrates fix it..... :(lmao:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheave service   Sheave service - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheave service
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2