SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Up graded the sheave

Go down 
+10
wvyankee2
roamerr
DoddS
GunRunner
shawnley1222
AIRBORNE
ChrisC
nocerisdave
Clayboy
Big-R
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DoddS
SSXSRider Member
DoddS

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Up graded the sheave - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm

You are more than welcome to use my RZR repair shop to do the job Airborne. HitFan

Also, Big R don’t forget Stacy and Clay did some of the work (Stacy)" Tell Big R I didn’t put any oil in his rear dif " lol!
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 8:58 pm

When changing the sheave the important thing is reinstalling the big nut. If you do not torque it enough you will have a "huge" mess to deal with. I've seen it happen -- not good. The nut basically loosens thus destroying the belt, messing up the bushing, and overheating the bearings. VERY UGLY!!

As for power -- the sheave does not give extra low-end power below 10mph or so. I have a Trinity Racing sheave and the lighter rollers (weights). This increased RPM's and allowed the Rhino to hold a higher RPM going into a hill. This higher rpm is a positive since I now start off at higher rpm and drop down to the torque peak as I near the top of taller hills. The negative is it does consume more fuel and probably is harder on the motor. As for more bottom end -- it can not help below 10mph or so since the belt is at the bottom. No sheave helps below 10mph or so. A stronger spring or lighter rollers will allow the rpm's to build more before the belt shifts up in the curve. As for top-speed I've done 56mph on a flat road but it took a long time to get there. The interesting thing is now my low gear is good to around 40mph -- I wish it was much lower since I really would have liked more power below 10 mph.

Would I recommend a sheave change. Maybe. Truth is that for woods riding, mud riding, or most trail riding in the south it makes no difference. If you like to play on long steep hills then I do recommend it. If you like to rock crawl or just normal trail ride then I'm not sure it's worth it. I see the CDI the same way. The Rhino is most reliable left stock -- I've never heard of a wrist pin failure on a stock CDI, stock sheave Rhino...

My $.02. But as a second note I do want to see Big R's wheelie. Sounds cool!! cheers

Was there hills somewhere that Teryx's could not climb but Rhino's could? I'd like to hear that story. The Teryx has 10+ more hp and should be a better climber unless it's Kawi belt is slipping....

Last edited by roamerr on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 pm

DoddS wrote:
........... (Stacy)" Tell Big R I didn’t put any oil in his rear dif " lol!

Well, I not real sure about Stacy. He might want one of our rhinos to break so he can say " see them rhinos aren't worth a damn" Laughing
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 7:39 am

Dodds, I may just take you up on that offer. If you and Clay and myself can get together on a suitable weekend, then I would be all for it. I would like to try and tackle it sometime this month if at all possible. Valentines Day weekend would honestly be good for me, but I don't know what your all's women folk would think about us playing in the garage that day. It is a holiday weekend for me so I don't have to be in such a hurry. I can ease up that way on Friday, stay with some friends in Versailles, then shoot over on Saturday to mess with the toys. If that sounds like something that would fit, shoot me a PM. If not, it is no big deal.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 12:17 pm

With all the parts in hand, it only takes about an hour to install the sheave and spring. I just swapped the spring only and it took 2 min. Still waiting on the big brown truck to deliver the rest of the goods.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Okay everybody,

I know you all have read that the sheave gives no bottom end. Also, I am sure that the sheave you put in your rhino made no difference on the bottom end. However, I put in an unleashed UTV sheave that gave me more bottom end. You can really feel the difference if you put it in low and stomp the gas to the floor. The rhino feels like it is going to pop a wheelie. Now I know I am not popping a wheelie but it feels like I have a lower gear.

Now before everybody starts telling me I am full of poo answer two question for me....

1) have you change your sheave

2) what sheave do you have

If you have not change your sheave then I don't want to hear about what you have read over on some other forum. I want to get to the bottom of this. Because I am not crazy and it does not make any since to me either. The math does not add up. However, my rhino has more bottom end.

Feedback
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 5:02 pm

R,
Consider this possibility. Maybe your stock sheave had some issue of some kind?? Dry or Dirty rollers, sticky sliders. All possible if it's never been off. There is no mechinical or physical way there would be a difference.
The belt starts at the bottom of the sheave period, Now that you have a nice clean, well-lubed sheave on there, everythings "jumping" better, thus your seat of the pants feeling.
I know when mine gets in need. I can tell by the bottom-end, it's not as "snappy".
If fact I'm gonna pull mine off and service it this week. Just consider it.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:02 pm

ridepate wrote:
R,
Consider this possibility. Maybe your stock sheave had some issue of some kind?? Dry or Dirty rollers, sticky sliders. All possible if it's never been off. There is no mechinical or physical way there would be a difference.
The belt starts at the bottom of the sheave period, Now that you have a nice clean, well-lubed sheave on there, everythings "jumping" better, thus your seat of the pants feeling.
I know when mine gets in need. I can tell by the bottom-end, it's not as "snappy".
If fact I'm gonna pull mine off and service it this week. Just consider it.

There is no way the sheave can be machined to give bottom end? Are you absolutely sure.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:30 pm

I only have the stock one. shutup
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:36 pm

I'm absolutley sure about nothing. But that being said. The profile of the ramp, as its called, where the belt actually touches, remains un-changed. Its just the roller-area that allows the belt to travel farther up the "Ramp". I know somewhere, someone has re-machined the ramp area, or tried it, I'm sure.
But think about this. When you buy a sheave, your just replacing half of the primary, in otherwords one side of the "ramp". You cannot just machine one side of the "ramp" and them join it with the other,non-machined side. It wont work.
That would be the only way, IMO, any bottom-end change could occur.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 pm

DirtDawber wrote:
Link --> God loves 'em, they must perform miracles. lol! :flower: Razz

DD, you made me spit on the keyboard again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:42 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
I only have the stock one. shutup

I know better then that. Which sheave did you buy Yank?

Pate which sheave do you have?

ridepate wrote:
DirtDawber wrote:
Link --> God loves 'em, they must perform miracles. lol! :flower: Razz

DD, you made me spit on the keyboard again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!

That ant right lol!

Last edited by Big-R on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Big-R wrote:
I know better then that. Which sheave did you by Yank?

I really have the stock sheave. never touched it. It's Virgin. Smiles
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:50 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Big-R wrote:
I know better then that. Which sheave did you by Yank?

I really have the stock sheave. never touched it. It's Virgin. Smiles

I am doing very important research here and you are f-in around study
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

Number of posts : 1655
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 6:56 pm

R did you change the spring when you changed the sheave?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 7:01 pm

HW R...........
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 7:17 pm

I am bringing my sheave with me (new in the box) this weekend. I want you, Clay and Dodds to compare it to the ones you guys put in. If you think about it, bring your stock one so I can take a look at it. I have never been in the CVT of the Rhino.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 7:34 pm

You must have a spacer R, that will give better B-E.......I just remembered that.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 7:40 pm

There is no way the sheave can be machined to give bottom end? Are you absolutely sure.

Since the belt is at the bottom the only way to make a change is to add a spacer so the belt "falls" lower. Can't really machine the sheave for that since the sheave still must be ramped or the belt will stick and not climb the sheave. Adding the spacer works but opens up a can of other issues. If your belt was worn and thus narrow then that would work similar to a spacer but would likely loose some low end and want to slip.

http://www.rhinoforums.net/general-rhino-discussion/24105-when-installing-spacer-660-sheave-does-go-then-collar-then-sheave.html

I really do not disagree that you feel like you have more bottom end. The tighter spring will make the belt stay at the bottom longer giving the lower gearing (lower belt in sheave)for a longer time. The real test is climbing a long hill or under load -- below 10mph rolling there should be no difference.

I looked into this and asked alot of people before I choose my sheave and roller combo. There just is not but so much you can do with a Rhino sheave, springs, and belt. Convert it to a dry (slip type/snowmobile type) and it opens up the possibilities for alot more adjustment (and $3000 in cost).
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Mine is stock.......... shutup
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm

HW here and am just peachy with it no issues and I can still turn my tires when needed(usually) and I can still make it up any hill, for the most part, that I want to there are always some scenarios that MY rhino just cant make it
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Attention I have not put the spring in yet and I have the same rollers. All I did was replace the sheave Attention

Moreover, I do not think I have more B-E. I know there is more B-E. I feel that if I put the spring in that it will be to much B-E. It might rip out the rear end.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Big-R -- I just figured it out. Really simple. You do have more bottom end. I know what made the change -- the big nut is loose by 1/2 to 1 turn. That is just enough to make the belt ride lower like a spacer. It's really not an issue until it loosen's another 1/8th of a turn and then all heck breaks loose.....

I'm pulling your leg -- I'm sure everything is fine. Cool

I'll bring my Tow rope to Evarts in case though.... lol!

For what it's worth I hesitated making this post. I met you at the stairsteps in WV and just hope you are not the paranoid type. I'd hate to think that you pulled the cover on the belt just to check the big nut again. I'm sure it's fine. Really....
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 9:56 pm

roamerr wrote:
Big-R -- I just figured it out. Really simple. You do have more bottom end. I know what made the change -- the big nut is loose by 1/2 to 1 turn. That is just enough to make the belt ride lower like a spacer. It's really not an issue until it loosen's another 1/8th of a turn and then all heck breaks loose.....

I'm pulling your leg -- I'm sure everything is fine. Cool

I'll bring my Tow rope to Evarts in case though.... lol!

For what it's worth I hesitated making this post. I met you at the stairsteps in WV and just hope you are not the paranoid type. I'd hate to think that you pulled the cover on the belt just to check the big nut again. I'm sure it's fine. Really....

I almost left the computer as I read your post. affraid was heading out to the rhino for some wrenching Tools We hit the impact to the nut pretty good. Also, the washer was centered. We are good......

I am going to have Clay compare the two sheaves side x side. I really didn't look at it that close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Up graded the sheave   Up graded the sheave - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Up graded the sheave
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next