SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.

Go down 
+17
4x4pac
Z06-08
Foxfire
crossdaddy
RedNeckRanger
Mud-and-Guts
Clayboy
moto92
ridepate
AIRBORNE
Rhino Rob
highlander
nocerisdave
GunRunner
ChrisC
DirtDawber
wvyankee2
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Empty
PostSubject: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Got my RDC lift installed today. Used RDC's instructions on their forum here: http://www.rubberdowncustoms.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5042 Had to make some adjustments for my application. Thought I would share them for future reference. First, the rear lift according to their instructions needed the Lower Shock mount grinded off to keep from rubbing your CV boot on it. This involved removing the hub and axle, and lower shock bolt. This was a problem for me because I have no air tools to re-torque the axle nut back to 230 foot pounds. Had to improvise. I ended up cutting it out without removing anything including my A-arm skids. I used a Rotary tool with snake attachment and reinforced cut off wheels. I had to do it from 3 different angles. ( I now know what a dentist job is like. Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. 13435 ) It took me about 1/2 hour per wheel to do. Here are some pics.

Rotary set up and ready.

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift001

I next had to remove top shock bolt. Then I lifted up the A-arms and set the hub on a cooler. This gave me more clearance to work on the cuts.

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift017

Here are the cuts. Sorry one of the pics isn't too good. I wrapped an old leather belt around the CV boot in case i slipped with the wheel and cut one. Also protected it from all the sparks. affraid If you do this remember to use eye protection.

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift006

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift016

After my cuts were made I smoothed them out with a grinding stone and painted them to keep the rust away. Now the easy part, just slide the blocks in the rear frame and attach the shocks. Wrong! My Bilstein shocks are about 3/8 inch longer than stock shocks. I could not put the block in and then even with the A-arms fully extended down to bottom, get my shocks in. So, I attached my shocks to the block first and then while pressing down with my foot on the hub I used a rubber mallet to knock the block into the frame hole. I had it lined up as well as you could with the frame bolt holes but still couldn't get the bolt through because of all the strain pushing up from the shock. My solution was to run a ratchet strap around the top of my shock and compress the shock down to relieve the stress on the block in the frame. Bolt slid right in. cheers

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift018

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift021

No problems whatsoever with the front lift. Went right on according to RDC's instructions.

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift024

Overall I am very happy with the lift. It is very heavy duty and their is no way this can slip anywhere. With my 26" Bighorns replacing my 25" Duros, I gained a total of 3 1/2 inches of clearance front and rear. This is of course without the body, bumpers and toolbox in the bed. Thats probably about 150 pounds thats off the machine right now. Here are the pics.

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift020

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift027

And my new Bighorns and Douglas Diablo wheels.

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Rhinolift021w
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 4:36 pm

NICE YANK... VERY NICE !!!!!!! perfect10 perfect10 perfect10

Big Hornies Club !!! allright

Now get the body back on and get us some good side pics !!! Wave
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Marty doing some Fab Work...... cheers

Looks Good. Now you can get over them
Rocks...... allright
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Hey yank, how you got your front tires on the back? Eat
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm

Yank I like those Douglas rims......sweet! I am curious why didnt you turn the white letters out?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:45 pm

GunRunner wrote:

Put 26/9/12's on all 4 wheels Gunny. Wanted to save on some weight. Already losing some power by going almost 2" on diamater larger. Didn't want the weight factor also. The 26/9/12 is 25 pounds each. The 26/11/12 are 30 pounds each.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:46 pm

nocerisdave wrote:
Yank I like those Douglas rims......sweet! I am curious why didnt you turn the white letters out?

Never have liked White letters out Dave. Just personal preference.
Back to top Go down
highlander
SSXSRider Member
highlander

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Looks sweet.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 7:40 pm

nocerisdave wrote:

He PMed me earlier this week and said he was gonna put the white letters in to get a rise out of nocerisdave. lol! lol! thatsright thatsright
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Marty any concerns with axles breaking ? seems thats all i heard of way back in 06 when people were first starting with the lifts. then gorilla axles were being bandied as a must have for lifting.
Also, did you gain any noticeable clearance or smoothness of the ride when you added shocks ?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Very nice Marty!!!
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
Marty any concerns with axles breaking ? seems thats all i heard of way back in 06 when people were first starting with the lifts. then gorilla axles were being bandied as a must have for lifting.
Also, did you gain any noticeable clearance or smoothness of the ride when you added shocks ?

Seems like a lot of people are running lifts now without issue Rob. From everything i've seen on the trail and read, I would never buy Gorilla axles. IMO the stock ones are stronger.

AS far as my shocks go, My initial impression was they were rougher in the slow stuff and smoother in the fast stuff. I have had them on so long now I cant remember what the stockers were like. They give you a much more controled and smoother ride when going fast over the trail. When rockcrawling or going slow they seemed to be stiffer and less forgiving than the stockers.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 10:00 pm

I wish mine were black-out, the w/l's suck to clean...............
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 11:47 pm

lookin good!
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 4:18 am

Nice lift! Great install thread Yank! cheers
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 5:59 am

yes it does look good. great job!
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 6:07 am

lookin good bro thatsright
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 10:27 am

wvyankee2 wrote:
GunRunner wrote:

Put 26/9/12's on all 4 wheels Gunny. Wanted to save on some weight. Already losing some power by going almost 2" on diamater larger. Didn't want the weight factor also. The 26/9/12 is 25 pounds each. The 26/11/12 are 30 pounds each.

But dont you think, since most trails we run are in 2wd that the smaller tires will spin more meaning you have to run in 4x4 more just to get thru stuff the bigger tires would have no problem doing?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 pm

GunRunner wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:
GunRunner wrote:

But dont you think, since most trails we run are in 2wd that the smaller tires will spin more meaning you have to run in 4x4 more just to get thru stuff the bigger tires would have no problem doing?

Gunny, I have had this debate with others many times over the years on wide vs. narrow tires. It's too long to get into here, but if you or anyone else are interested and want to check it out read this: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 pm

Marty, you will like your setup. I wish I did not have such wide tires in the back of the Rhino. It robs power.........we agree on that note. I am excited to check it out in person. I know you will be happier not bottoming out on everything.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 am

wvyankee2 wrote:
GunRunner wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:
GunRunner wrote:

Gunny, I have had this debate with others many times over the years on wide vs. narrow tires. It's too long to get into here, but if you or anyone else are interested and want to check it out read this: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

i personally dont like the looks of the small tires on the rear.they dont look like MAN TIRES roflmao but i will agree that small tires do as well as wide ones!! remember the buckshots?????? i took off my old gumbo mudders on my jeep years ago and put on the old tall and narrow buckshots and it would go alot better!!!i dont have any power problems with my rhino so........ill stick with my manly looking wide GBCS on the rear!!!!!! Eat Eat 2cents
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 9:40 pm

RedNeckRhino wrote:

i personally dont like the looks of the small tires on the rear.they dont look like MAN TIRES roflmao but i will agree that small tires do as well as wide ones!! remember the buckshots?????? i took off my old gumbo mudders on my jeep years ago and put on the old tall and narrow buckshots and it would go alot better!!!i dont have any power problems with my rhino so........ill stick with my manly looking wide GBCS on the rear!!!!!! Eat Eat 2cents

I'm going to see how well they work. I just dont quite have that Man engine to turn them Man-Tires. lol!
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptySat Jun 27, 2009 11:26 pm

im not interested in a debate on the subject, reading that article which is geared toward 5k lb vehicles and where tire fitment under the body is a big concern, I did read a few things it listed as down sides to running skinnys on the rear, off camber stability and going thru mud, both of which we do a lot. I think I will stick with the tried and true setup im using. But keep us informed on how that works out for you allright
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 12:28 am

Gunny, Off-camber ,yes, mud, no.........All the rides we've been on, there has never been any serious mud, unless you count Bell Co., which was a choice. Yanks made the best choice, IMO due to the power-factor. I've always said light and skinny is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.   Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install. Empty

Back to top Go down

Rubber Down Customs ( RDC ) 2" lift install.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next